Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hollz Does Art - The Red Star Comic Series


I was recently introduced to The Red Star series, and instantly fell in love with the storyline and the stunning (and revolutionary for the time) artwork!  I'm debating cosplaying as Makita in the future, but more on that later...

For my very FIRST attempt at drawing a person, even a comic, I picked Maya, since her features were simple and her eyes downcast.  I'm not a fan of too many lines on a character's face in comics, so while I don't know what my own personal style will be once I start creating, I know that I want to keep it simple.  When I looked at this illustration of Maya, I was encouraged by the minimal lines, and wanted to give it a try. It was much more difficult than I imagined! Remember that I'm teaching myself how to draw, and have had no formal training - so I'm definitely looking for some advice and criticisms here!


I didn't tackle shadows/shading at all, which I should have done to make her more dynamic.  Also after numerous attempts, I gave up on her mouth, and went with a simple red line.  I added minimal color, since I've only sketched in black and white up until this point, and didn't feel comfortable with too much.  I found it difficult to match the proportions correctly, so I ended up with some funky lines, especially on her jaw line and coat buttons. 


I plan on coming back to this same image a few months down the road after I've had some more practice.  In the meantime, I think I'll try some realistic drawings first, then once I get the lines right I can add my own style to incorporate it into a comic.  But for now, I don't think this is too shabby for a first attempt:



The Original Artwork
Drawing by Hollz


Current Level: 1
XP needed for next level: 1300
XP Gained from Maya Drawing: 200
Total XP from drawings to date: 700  


No comments:

Post a Comment