Monday, April 1, 2013

Hollz Reviewz: LIMBO

I've become quite the fan of indie games these past couple years.  Not only do I enjoy supporting the "little guy" but these developers produce enjoyable games that are completely unique.  Because most Indies start off as a small pet project, they are not afraid to take risks with game-play, art design and story line.  And I found a perfect example of what an Indie game can do!



I bought Playdead's LIMBO last year during one of Steam's Holiday Sales.  I was intrigued by the seemingly simple gray-scale graphics, and playing the game as a small child looking to find his sister.  It only takes a few hours to complete this side scrolling puzzle game, but it's far different from anything I've played before.  I became immersed in a world where everything was out to get me, and the noir setting ensured that my spirits stayed dampened. But even in such a disparaging world, I felt like the guardian of this small hopeful boy, and I had to see him through to the end.



I always enjoy vulnerable characters more since I'm able to sympathize and connect with them (because I admit, I'm not built like a space marine).  Evoking emotion is difficult when all you have is a silent silhouette, but I became so attached to this little dude that Playdead actually had me cringing each time I failed a puzzle.  You see, the game was set up so that it would take multiple tries to complete puzzles to advance in the world, and if you don't succeed, the young boy experiences a death ranging from a simple rag-doll fall to being torn to bloody pieces. 

Another aspect of the game that tore at my emotions was the dreaded 8 legged creature that somehow pops up in every fantasy-themed creation.  The tension that I felt over keeping the boy alive was amplified when the first legs appeared.  

Nope nope nope!
When I finished the game, I ended up just sitting still, staring at my computer screen.  The ending is up for interpretation, and with my imagination running wild throughout the game, I had to take some time to process the adventure I went through with the little nameless boy. While the game was never scary, it will continue to haunt me for some time.  It was money well spent, and I will be sure to replay this game again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment